By mail: Send $26 to Ray McAllister Books LLC, Box 72672, North Chesterfield, VA 23235.
Or purchase through your local store, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, eBay, or IndieBound.
CLICK for Signings and Appearances
NEXT: Williamsburg Book Festival, Stryker Center, 412 N. Boundary Street, Williamsburg, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. SAT., OCT. 14.
THE SENATOR’S SON
The Shocking Disappearance, The Celebrated Trial,
and The Mystery That Remains a Century Later
BY CHARLES OLDHAM
Foreword by Ray McAllister
On Monday, February 13, 1905, eight-year-old Kenneth Beasley walked to the back of his school’s playground and into the melting snow of the woods beyond. The son of a North Carolina state senator was never seen again. A year and a half later, a political rival was charged in what became one of North Carolina’s biggest trials ever, receiving coverage up and down the East Coast. The eventual verdict and stunning aftermath would rip apart two families and shock a state … yet leave a mystery unsolved. Now Charles Oldham, attorney and author, has reopened the case, along the way investigating not only it but the state’s political, racial, lynching and liquor cultures. The result is an absorbing must read story.
“Fascinating … murky … The Senator’s Son is local history at its finest.” – DEAN KING, best-selling author
“The book is craftily written, deeply researched, and will stick to your hands like a lantern during this dark, raveled Southern tale of disappearance.” – DAVID L. ROBBINS, best-selling author
“A vibrant, engrossing true tale … both educational and nearly impossible to stop reading.” – Diane Donovan, MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW.
“Extraordinary achievement in research and writing. …. Congratulations on producing a masterpiece.” – WILLIAM E. DUNSTAN, author of Nell Cropsey and Jim Wilcox: The Chill of Destiny
“Incredible research and such good storytelling, all wrapped together. … Your book is certainly the definitive study.” – CATHY PICKENS, author of the Southern Fried Mystery series.
SIGNINGS & APPEARANCES
- Page After Page Bookstore, Elizabeth City, N.C, Author Fest, 10 a.m.- 4 p.m., Sat. Feb. 9.
- North Banks Rotary Club, Ramada Plaza Oceanfront, 1701 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, N.C., 12:30 p.m. TUES., MARCH 19.
- Blue Water Grill, 2000 Sailfish Drive, Manteo (Pirates Cove condo development), noon-8 p.m. SUN., MARCH 31.
- Currituck Historical Society annual dinner, Currituck County Extension Office, Maple, N.C. 7 p.m. MON., APRIL 1.
- College of the Albemarle Literary Festival, presentation and signing, Elizabeth City campus, 1208 N. Road Street, AE Building, Rm. 208, 11:15 a.m.- 12:45 p.m., THURS., APRIL 4.
Cape Henry Rotary Club breakfast meeting, Oyster Bar & Steaks restaurant, 2947 Shore Drive, Virginia Beach, VA. 7:30 a.m. WED., APRIL 17.
- Sunset River Marketplace, 10283 Beach Drive SW (NC179), Calabash, NC, Coffee With the Author, 10-11 a.m. THURS., JULY 11.
- Duck’s Cottage, Duck, N.C., 9-11 a.m., FRI., JULY 12.
- Downtown Books, Manteo, N.C., 1-3 p.m. FRI., JULY 12.
- Barnes & Noble, Hickory, 2405 US Hwy 70 SE, Hickory NC, Local Authors Signing, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., SAT., AUG. 31
- OBX Pride Festival, in conjunction with Downtown Books, Manteo Waterfront Park, 106 Fernando St., Manteo, N.C., 1:30-3:30 p.m. SAT., SEPT. 14.
- Chesapeake (Va.) Public Library, 298 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, presentation/Q&A, 1-2:30 p.m. SUN., SEPT. 15
- Book club speech, Southern Shores, N.C. (private)
- Williamsburg Book Festival, Stryker Center, 412 N. Boundary Street, Williamsburg, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. SAT., OCT. 14.
Please check back, as signings are continually added.
- Downtown Books, Manteo, N.C., 5-7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5.
- Duck’s Cottage, Duck, N.C., 9-11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 6.
- Barnes & Noble, New Hope Commons, Durham, N.C., 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28.
- Lee County Libraries, Sanford, N.C, 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 15.
- Museum of the Albemarle, Elizabeth City, N.C., 1 p.m., Sat., Nov. 17.
- Barnes & Noble, Fairfax, Va., Noon-3 p.m., Sun., Nov. 18.
- Barnes & Noble-Potomac, Alexandria, Va., 3:30-6 p.m., Sun., Nov. 18
- Bizarre Bazaar, Ray McAllister Books booth, Richmond Raceway Complex, 600 E. Laburnum Ave., Richmond, Va., 10-3 Sat., Dec. 1
- Barnes & Noble, Libbie Place, 5501 W. Broad St., Richmond, Va., Noon-2 p.m., Sun., Dec. 2.
- Barnes & Noble, Chesterfield Towne Center, 11500 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, Va. 3-6 p.m., Sun., Dec. 2
- Park Road Books, 4139 Park Road, Charlotte, N.C., 11 a.m.- 1 p.m., Sat., Dec. 8
- City Center Gallery and Books, 112 Hay St., Fayetteville, N.C., 2-4 p.m., Sun., Dec.9
- Barnes & Noble, Greenville, N.C., 6-8 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 13
- Currituck County Library, 4261 Caratoke Hwy.,Barco, N.C., 2 p.m., Friday December 14
- Barnes & Noble, Carolina Place Mall, Pineville, N.C., 1-4 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 15
Visit the Author’s Website